If you were to ask a dog mom, what is the smartest dog breed in the world, any proud dog mom will tell you that our fur babies are the smartest dogs in the world, all you have to do is ask us and we will proudly tell you all of the special things our fur babies do that make them smarter than the rest.
How Is A Dogs Intelligence Measured
When asking what is the smartest dog breed in the world, we are asking a question that isn’t easily answered. Just as in humans there are different types of smart in different breeds.
- Inherent Intelligence- This is how easily a dog does the job his/her breed is bred to perform. A Doberman or Rottweiler is bred to be a guard dog. A German Shorthair will sniff out wildlife and point out the direction to find game and some retrieve as well. A Labrador is bred to help retrieve game while hunting. Chihuahua’s are considered a companion bred dog. Every dog breed has an inherent intelligence of some sort and comparing one with another isn’t really possible because they each have different abilities that they shine in.
- Adaptive Intelligence- This is what a dog can learn for himself, learning from experience and using that experience and information to solve new problems they are faced with. This sort of intelligence is different from dog to dog in all breeds. Adaptive intelligence is the difference between a dumb dog and a smart dog of the same breed.
- Working or Obedience Intelligence- The ability to learn commands easily and obey commands as they are given by humans. For example, search and rescue dogs are taught how to search and rescue through commands they learn. A smart dog of any breed will easily learn commands and perform them rather fast.
So when asking what is the smartest dog breed in the world we are asking a very complicated question that almost isn’t really possible to answer accurately since there are really smart and not so smart dogs in all dog breeds.
A smart dog will learn everything you want it to learn they will also learn all the things they can get away with so you may spend just as much time teaching them the things they can’t get away with because a smart dog will find different methods to do the things they like.
In some cases, a smarter dog is the harder dog to train or requires more training. That being said judging dogs and their intelligence is done unfairly because it mostly boils down to their training and how well us humans train them.
An extensive study was done where a lengthy survey was given to 199 judges in an attempt to figure out , what is the smartest dog breed in the world. The results were very consistent, the judges, however, pointed out there are exceptions in all breeds.
What Is The Smartest Dog Breed In The World
Here is a list of the 10 smartest breeds in the world
- Border Collie- Originating in the Scottish borders for herding livestock. Bred for obedience and intelligence, the Border Collie is herding and working dog. Most would say they are the smartest dog breed in the world.
- Poodle- The origin of the Poodle is still a dispute whether they are from the French Barbet or if they originated from a type of water dog from Germany. The Standard Poodle, Miniature Poodle, and the Toy Poodle are a reserved group. of dog.
- German Shepherd- Originating from its namesake Germany initially bred for herding sheep because of their intelligence, obedience, trainability, and strength German Shepherds are widely used around the world for many jobs, including police dogs and search and rescue dogs.
- Golden Retriever-This gun breed is originally from Scottland, this breed is a hunting dog known for its gentle bite making them perfect for retrieving shot game from water and on land.
- Doberman Pinscher- Developed by a tax collector, Karl Fredrich Louis Dobermann from Germany. The Dobermann is known for its light-footed gracefulness and used mainly as a guard dog.
- Shetland Sheepdog- Also known as a Sheltie from the Shetland Islands of Scottland and bred for herding.
- Labrador Retriever- Imported from Newfoundland the lab is bred for its retrieving ability as a gun breed, is the most popular breed in the U.S., U.K., and Canada.
- Papillon-A Toy or Companion breed is also known as a Continental Toy Spaniel originally from France, Italy, and Spain. This breed’s eagerness to please and training ability make him excel in tricks and dog sports.
- Bloodhound- The Bloodhound originated in France to trail boar and deer, they are now the most widely used breed for finding lost people and people who are hiding.
- Rottweiler- Used as messengers, herders, and guard dogs the Rottweiler is originally from Germany. Now they are often used as police dogs.
So when answering “what is the smartest dog breed in the world” It would have to be the Border Collie breed, that’s not to say that the smartest dog in the world would necessarily be of the Border Collie breed.
A Shout Out To A Non-AKC Recognized Little Star Group of Dogs
Remember the Jack Russell Terrier from Frasure? Eddie was his T.V. name, his real name was Moose(12-24-1990 – 6-22-2016) he also played in Maxwell Story. Moose is only one of many Jack Russell’s who has co-starred on famous shows.
The Jack Russell Terrier originated in England. The very high energy, eager to please, job needing group of dog must be socialized early on and will cause problems if not kept busy most of the time but with the right training, they are known to be very smart.
So although the Border Collie Breed is the smartest dog breed in the world it doesn’t mean that you’re fur baby couldn’t be the smartest dog in the world, so work with your pal, teach him tricks, train him,love him, give him plenty of exercise and you will get the best out of your dog that they can give from.